Friday 13 May 2011

Simple Pleasures

Well that's weird - the post I wrote on Wednesday night has disappeared from my blog.  I noticed others have been having trouble with their posts as well.  If I remember right it was a project update, so I'll just do another late. It'll be useful for me to see how on-track I am with things.

Today I went to the flea market and round the charity shops. I spent a bit more money than I wanted to, but have bought some lovely stuff, including some craft magazines from the 1970's.  I'm going to spend the rest of the evening flicking through them - heaven!  I'll do some photos of everything tomorrow.

When I got home I went in the shower and I noticed how much better it felt now I no longer jump in every day.  I just seem to appreciate it more.  That started me off thinking about simple pleasures and I wrote a little list in my notebook  I find thats serves as a useful reminder of all the things we do have, instead of  dwelling on what we don't have.

Anyway, these are a few of my simple pleasures - the stuff that makes me feel happy inside.
  • A hot shower (when it's not an every day occurance)
  • Lying in the bath reading a good book
  • A converstaion with Karly, my 4 year old granddaughter
  • Playing chase with Rusty, my dog
  • Watching the antics of the blackbirds through the kitchen window
  • Eating raspberries straight from the bush
  • Seeing my seeds germinate
  • A pot of Lapsang tea in my vintage crockery
  • Afternoon tea with home made scones or cake
  • A leisurely Sunday afternoon spent lying on the sofa reading a book or watching an old film
  • A walk down to the lake to feed the ducks and swans
  • Mint tea from the garden on a hot day
  • Looking through old photos and reliving some happy memories
  • An evening spent watching back-to-back episodes of a favourite TV series on DVD
  • An evening spent watching Patrick Swayze 'dirty dancing'
  • Walking in the rain when I know I don't have to
  • Experimenting with making something new from stuff that would otherwise have been thrown out
  • Writing - a few notes in my diary or gratitude book or a few paragraphs of a short story
If we can slow down and appreciate the little things we'll realise how rich we actually are.

1 comment:

  1. This post made me smile: Not only are some of you favourite things mine, but your final comment reflect my sentiments exactly.

    ReplyDelete