Wednesday 18 May 2011

'Cheap' isn't always the most cost effective option

I'm blogging from my bed tonight. Rather sad that I have nothing better to do in bed than type away at a laptop! And not very good for relaxation either I suppose.

Today I've been coveting sheepskin slippers - like these.


They look so cosy, I can just imagine sinking my feet into them on a freezing cold winters day.  Rather expensive for slippers though, at £35.

Even toastier were these at £39:


I can't believe I've been contemplating paying this much for a pair of slippers!  'That's not frugal!', I hear you say.  Well, sometimes buying the cheapest option works out more expensive in the long run. If stuff isn't well made it doesn't last long and has to be replaced more often.

One decision I made earlier was to knit my own socks.  I know I can buy socks for less than a pound a pair whereas knitting my own will cost me 3 or 4 times that.  But the cheap ones I buy just don't last.  My home made ones should last at least 4 times longer and will be more comfortable.  When they finally wear out that will just be one pair of socks going to landfill instead of 4.  Same with the knitted dishcloths and washcloths.  Cheaper in the long run and less going to landfill.

Cheap knickers are as bad as cheap socks I've found.  My everyday (cheap basic) knickers need replacing and I've only had them 3 months, whereas my more expensive weekend ones are as good as new and I've had them a lot longer (and no, I have no idea why I have 'weekday' and 'weekend' knickers either!)  I have to admit I've been thinking along the same lines as Ilona at
 http://meanqueen-lifeaftermoney.blogspot.com/ and I've been eying up mens boxer shorts as replacements!

So, back to the lovely cosy slippers.  Are they cost effective?  Well, I think I'm just trying to justify buying them really.  They'd need to last 8 years to be cost effective for me!  I guess it's 'bye bye cosy slippers'.  Unless I treated myself with Christmas and birthday money.  Is that cheating...........?

No comments:

Post a Comment