Tuesday 14 June 2011

Experimenting

Blogging from work again - naughty.  Only 11 weeks to go now till my redundancy.  56 days.  Not that I'm counting or anything :o)

Since last Thursday I've been experimenting with washing my hair in a new way - with baking soda instead of shampoo.  I read about it on Wednesday night and lots of people were recommending it.  Apparantly it makes your hair more manageable and softer and generally leaves it in much better condition than shampoo and conditioner.  My hair is very fine and the roots get oily quickly so I was attracted by the testimonials of those whose fine hair now had much more body and was no longer limp and lifeless.  Most people find it takes their hair a couple of weeks to settle down after starting this regime and it will be oily to start with.

After 6 days my hair is definately thicker, but I'm struggling to cope with the oiliness and I've resorted to tying it up in a pony tail every day because it won't style well.  However, it is a lovely thick ponytail!  The thickness is what I've loved about this, as well as the way the comb just glides through after washing, but to be honest I'm not sure if I'm going to carry on with it at the minute.  I'm just not happy going to work with greasy hair.  I would like to give it another go later though.

For anyone who would like to try it, this what I did. I mixed a heaped tablespoon of baking soda with 8fl oz warm water and used about a quarter of this to wash my hair, concentrating on the roots. I did find it difficult to disperse throughout my hair though - I think a spray bottle would be best.

There's also a recipe for conditioner so I think that'll be this weeks experiment. I find a lot of conditioners weigh my hair down, but I need something at least on the ends as my hair is long.  The recipe stated 1 tablespoon of cider vinegar in 8 fl oz water, spray onto hair and rinse off.  I suppose any vinegar would do, but I do have cider vinegar in the house as I use it as a remedy for my gallstones (a teaspoon mixed with apple juice).

I might make up my first batch tonight and I'll report back the results next week. If it works that'll be one more thing I can make myself and therefore one less thing to buy - I'm whittling them down bit by bit!

No comments:

Post a Comment