Wednesday 8 June 2011

A couple of books

For a while now I've meant to recommend this book:

'The Only Way is Up' by Carole Mathews.

It's a novel, telling how a wealthy family, husband working in the City, lost everything they owned when the husband was fired.  They were rehoused in a council house in a poor neighbourhood where they had to start from scrach to rebuild their lives.  Carole Mathews is so funny she had me laughing out loud in parts - the episode of the Brazillian wax on the kitchen table was hilarious.  Through ups and downs the family learn that there are more important things in life than money and how family and friends mean more than wealth and possessions.  When I'd finished it I wanted to start all over again.  I'll definately be looking out for more of her books.

I've also been reading this:

I'm probably the last person in the world to have read it - it seems like everyone else I know has already been there!

It took me a while to get into, but it came with so many recommendations from friends that I persevered and I have to say I eventually loved it.  I have to wait to borrow the other two books in the series though as they're out on loan.  One of the hazards of being a cheapskate and borrowing books from the library rather than buying them!

I have a couple of craft books out on loan too, and I'm afraid I've been a bit naughty and photocopied a couple of projects out of them on the copier at work.  I know you're allowed to copy a certain percentage of a book or magazine but I'm not sure how much.  As it was only a few pages I wanted to keep, it wasn't worth buying the books, but I have done that previously if a library book was so good it warrented buying as a reference book.  It's a good way to try before you buy.

I only hope we can keep our public libraries open, with all the cutbacks at the minute.  I don't think our local one is used all that much, which is a shame.  Losing yourself in a good book is a much better way to spend some time than watching endless hours of rubbishy telly I think.  And all for free!

No comments:

Post a Comment